Saturday, July 01, 2006

Why I Think Lewis Black is Brilliant

From "Red, White, and Screwed", Lewis Black's recent HBO special:

I never thought that during the course of my life that a President would be elected who didn't believe in evolution. Or at least, kind of in the ballpark of it, or thought, "Maybe it's got some merit!"

But no! He believes that the earth was created in seven days.

Hoo! Takes my breath away.

And why does he believe that? Because he read it -- in the Old Testament. Which is the book of my people. The Jewish People.

And that book...wasn't good enough...for you Christians....

(laughter and applause)

...was it?

You went "No, we've got a better book, with a better character, you're gonna love him!"

And you called your book "New", and said our book was "Old".

And yet every Sunday, I turn on the television set, and there's a priest, or a pastor, reading from my book. And interpreting it. And their interpretations, I have to tell you, are usually wrong.

And it's not their fault, because it's not their book!

You never see a rabbi on TV interpretring the New Testament, do you?